Thursday, September 25, 2014

6th Graders from GEC Visit!

September 2, 2014

The sixth graders from the GEC came to campus today from 10am-1pm! This was this particular group's first time visiting a college campus and I'm so glad that this first visit could be to Clemson. Each group had about 16 kids and 2 teachers in it along with 4-5 Moore Scholars from cohorts A and B. It was great getting to bond with Cohort B too, together the two cohorts make a great team! We took the students on a tour of a dorm room in Clemson House, then on a campus tour, and then to the planetarium before wrapping up with lunch and games back in the Holmes ballroom. It was so fun to see how enthralled the students were with campus and the various buildings. I know that my students were really excited to see simple things like the library and the reflection pond, that I guess we, as Clemson students, take for granted since we see them every day. It brought me a renewed sense of "wow my school is really awesome" when I saw how excited they were. I even heard a few of my students say that they want to attend Clemson and it was really neat getting to talk to them individually about what they want to be when they grow up or where they might want to go to school. A couple of the girls in my group want to be teachers, so I was excited to share with them about education classes and Clemson in general. Since we are in the midst of midterms here on campus, I really enjoyed having the students here to see that even in the chaos of midterms, papers, and life itself, Clemson is still amazing and teaching is still what I want to do in life. Thanks Moore Scholars and GEC for making a busy time so much fun! Can't wait until we get to do it again next semesters with the 7th and 8th graders!

No comments:

Post a Comment